Monday, November 17, 2008

November 17

This blog is in honor of my friends Greg and Day Burns who took a very active role in educating their friends for the election. Day, you said you were interested to know what the election looked like in France. So here is an Arkansas girl's take on the French view of the U.S. election.

Obama is a rock star! He is a savior to right all that is wrong in all the world. (according to the French) There was a spirit of celebration when Obama was elected. The French are passionate about what is happening with our politics. If people assumed I was English I didn't correct them because I didn't want to talk about the election. They always wanted to know who I voted for. And then would cheer Obama. I'm talking about random people you meet in the shops. I asked one guy if he could actually vote. He wouldn't drop it. People here are sick of Bush, the war, and the struggling economy. The European economy is suffering as well as in the States.

I told my teacher that Americans think the world revolves around them. I always thought that was an arrogant assumption. But she pointed out that we are a strong power in the world and what we do effects everyone. An English lady studying here put it this way, "We have to keep an eye on what Bush (the US) is doing." In other words we can't let you screw things up too much. (my interpretation)

So, there it is in a nutshell folks. My observation of the US presidential election in France. It's been eyeopening for me.

No comments: