Saturday, September 20, 2008

September 20


I am looking down the barrel of another weekend filled with hours of homework. Ugh! The week has been better, but this weekend is promising to be tough. I had a stomach bug on Tuesday, but was back to normal by Thursday.

Friday night four of us went into Paris to attend a Hillsong church. The service was in English and French which was great for learning. We were in the Pompidou area and also walked by St. Eustace church. We only had time to go to the service and then had a late dinner before catching the train home. That was my fun for the weekend. It was an enjoyable evening. These outings are helpful in building friendships. God has blessed me with some great people here.

I had a fun, informative, and inspiring conversation Thursday night with a group of people that represented these nations: Norway, Colombia, England, and USA. The mix of people is enough to make it interesting. We really provoked one another on some 'controversial' topics. (Depends on who you are if they are controversial or not.) And then I was told by a young woman who has live in France 8 years and works with the church that the French people have no concept of accountability..... Ok, let that sink in. It's still working into my head. The French are very private. I knew that. But apparently even with close loved ones, one tends not to share everything. I'm investigating this a little more. As you can see from the list none of the people present were French. However, I did ask a French woman, one of our teachers, this morning. As I was describing what accountability is I could see on her face that this was a new concept. And she told me that this would be a strange concept to most French people because they are very independent. hmm....

Ok, mes devoirs (homework) awaits me!

*The picture was taken from my window at sunset. Of course, the picture doesn't even come close to capturing the real thing.*

2 comments:

Susan said...

hey alana! just wanted to say hi and that i understand the joys of lots of homework :). but, i can't imagine doing it all in another language! looks like you're having a lot of fun and getting to see cool stuff. just wanted you to know that i'm thinking about you and praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh heck, don't even talk about les devoirs. Actually go ahead and talk about them (interesting how in French it's always in the plural).

I've just started second year - been ducking the flying deadlines myself.

C