Saturday, September 6, 2008

September 6

Hannah's luggage has FINALLY arrived. That's the big news of the day. Please continue to pray that our sleep patterns will settle in so we can rest better. Also, we need God's help with our studies. We need discipline mixed with a divine ability to absorb everything we are learning. And it is time to pay tuition. The Euro is much stronger than the dollar right now. Please pray for the exchange rate to improve when we go to pay our bill.

I thought I would take a minute for this blog and give you some impressions and ask for prayer...

I mentioned before that I was pleasantly surprised at how polite the French people are. This was based on my one brief experience in Paris ten years ago. The Parisians I encountered then where not so nice. I have found that the French people are a very respectful people in daily life. If you are rude, they can return the sentiment, but as a rule they are polite. For example, I was checking out at a local supermarket when a man walks in front of me and puts items in front of mine. I was puzzled. When I looked around there was a pregnant lady with a small child. So I moved out of the way, content to give up my place in line. What started as a "what do you think you're doing" moment turned into me having a lot of respect for that man. He happily kept his place in line behind me. Have you ever seen that in the States, or anywhere else? Another thing that has impressed me is that cars will stop in order to let you cross the road. People always greet you with "Bon jour, madame" when you enter a shop and "au revoir" when you leave. We were told yesterday that you can say "merci" or "thank you" several times and it will be appreciated every time. I found that if I showed a lot of appreciation to English friends it seemed to embarrass them. I love the English! But I do feel more at home here in many ways.

On a different note, I have seen another side as well. In just observing people in the shops, walking down the street, and on the train, there seems to be a deep fatigue. Life is hard everywhere. But a word I would use to describe many of these faces is worn. Where is the hope? I want so much to tell these people there is hope and I am stopped instantly by the fact that I can't speak their language...yet. I am often reminded of why God would bring Christians here. The French need hope.

A young French man who lives at Les Cedres told us today that less than 1% of the French are Christian. (This is not including nominal Catholics.) He said that outside of his church he doesn't know any Christians at school, etc. It is so different to the living in the Bible Belt.

I hope this gives you an idea of how you can pray for the French people. Many of the missionaries here are going to African countries after they learn the language. Just a few of us feel a call to stay in France. Please pray for God to send workers for the harvest. There is such a need here. Please pray the Holy Spirit will begin to draw the French people to Him and give them hope. When I think of all the people who need to hear about Jesus, I am overwhelmed. How will they ever get the message!? It will take a supernatural move of God. Please pray with me for France and the nations! Our prayers together will effect and change our world.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Will pray for France and you and Hannah.

bhoult said...

Great post... keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Alana,
We love reading your blogs.

It was so good to hear that Hannah is with you!

We had an awesome sermon at FOC on forgiveness yesterday,(Oct 5th. Many responded at the end. When you get some time, I encourage you to go on line and listen to the message. You will enjoy it. Trina gave a great reading on forgiveness.

Blessing and much love,
Beth W.